Social Justice through Sport and Exercise Psychology Symposium
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Deadline: February 10, 2023, 11:59pm (EST)
Springfield College, Springfield, MA
Thursday March 23 - Saturday March 25, 2023
Symposium Purpose: Our aim is to bring together sport and exercise psychology researchers and practitioners whose work focuses on social justice and praxis, marginalized communities, participants lacking scholarly attention, or that falls outside the positivist mainstream of sport psychology. A main purpose of this symposium is to bring together people passionate about these issues so that we can share our work as well as support and encourage each other. The symposium structure will encourage interaction and dialogue so that we may discuss professional issues as well as our research and practice. Although the focus is on sport and exercise psychology, we welcome submissions from scholars and practitioners from related disciplines.
The Symposium will consist of sport and exercise psychology research and praxis presentations as individual presentations and symposia. All presentations should clearly relate to the overall topic of social justice. Presentations must be original work, including theoretical or conceptual topics, reviews of literature, praxis or professional practice, creative teaching practices, and/or policy. Individuals are limited to two submissions.
Individual presentations will be presented by one person (can be co-authored) and will be 20 minutes in length. Upon acceptance, they will be grouped into sessions with 3-4 presentations followed by ample time for discussion.
Symposia or Workshops will be presented by 2-4 individuals and will be 60 minutes in length followed by approximately 30 minutes of discussion.
Abstracts will be evaluated based on the following criteria: Connection to theory, fit with the purpose of the symposium, novel approaches, and clarity of writing.
Submission Procedures (NOTE: abstracts not conforming to these guidelines will be returned to the lead author):
1. Provide type of submission (individual, symposia, workshop)
2. The length of the abstract is a maximum of 350 words
3. Use Times Roman 12-point font, 1-inch margins, left justified
4. Place the title on the top line in bold, capitalizing ONLY the first letter of each word. On the next line, list the corresponding (lead) authors’ first and last name, affiliation, and email address. On separate lines below that (single-spaced), list each additional author by name and affiliation. Double space and then add the abstract, which must be single-spaced.
5. Format abstract consistent with APA Publication Manual 7th edition.
6. E-mail abstract to Vikki Krane: email@example.com. Please send as a docx or pdf.
Submission of an abstract indicates that if your proposal is accepted, you will attend the symposium and pay the registration fee.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, February 10, 2023, 11:59pm (EST)